Monday 24 October 2011

Baby Blanket and Penguins

A long while ago (before Tobias and I started dating even) I began a baby blanket, as a sort of “when I don’t have the energy to do anything that requires much thinking” project. On Saturday I finally finished it, having worked on it more intently for a while. It is made from cotton yarn bought in a charity shop, in (what is directly translated from Swedish) double moss stitch – is that the right term in English as well, or can someone educate me?

Around this is moss stitch, and as a finishing touch is a crochet border. In the picture below the colour of the blanket is closest to what it is in real life.

The soft toy penguins are not made by me, but by a friend who will let you adopt one for 7$ (or more if anyone should feel particularly generous). This she does to raise enough money so that she and her husband will be able to afford to adopt a child. They have always wanted a big family, only to learn at age 24 and 29 that they couldn’t get biological children. Blessed as I am with no apparent problems in that department, my heart really goes out to those who have difficulties having biological children for any reason, and I’m very much impressed with how well my friends seem to cope with it. If you are at all interested in their project, go to their homepage (only in Swedish at the moment), or their Facebook page (in English as well). Future aunts, uncles and grandparents are also involved in the project "Lilla Längtan" (Little Longing), and are currently working on a CD with children’s songs, and the profits will go to the adoption of this much longed for child.

After a lot of rain, we’ve had a few sunny, but rather chilly days, though today was slightly more cloudy again. I love autumn when it is like this, the colours are amazing and the air clear and crisp. I’m so happy I live in a country with seasons!

4 comments:

  1. Hej! Jag tänkte att jag skulle säga att jag tycker om din blog! Ditt liv är intressant, och det är roligt att läsa om de kläder som du syr. Jag har varit med i Finlands medeltidsförbund för nästan tio år nu och syr mina kläder själv, som du gör också, och det är alltid trevligt att se projekter som någon annan har.

    Allt bra för dig och din familj från Finland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some time ago you mentioned a Swedish folkdrakt pattern that you bought... can you post what was in it and where an American might find one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Du har en fin blogg, och jag tittar in här ibland :)

    Mossstickning: seed stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seed stitch! Det visste jag nog egentligen... får skylla på gravidhjärna ;) Tack!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - please comment!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.