Two and a half weeks ago we moved to a new city, and though not completely unpacked yet, we’re feeling at home. My fabrics, thread, pins, needles and other equipment are slowly being excavated from the mountain of boxes, so hopefully I’ll be sewing again soon. In the meantime I’m working on a needlebound project that I’ll show you at some future date.
In the month or two before moving Tobias came up with the idea that I shouldn’t start any new projects until after moving, and considering how many unfinished projects I have lying around, I thought it a good idea. It was funny to see how close to finished some of these projects were, I seem to have lost interest (or been distracted by something else) just hours before I had completed projects. Hmm.
One of the projects I now finished was stitching lace to a pillow case sewn years and years ago. I already had one finished, as they were intended to be a pair, but I got fed up with attaching lace, and used the case I’d finished, putting the other one from my mind.
Now I have two, but as the one that was finished had been bleached with use, I packed it away with the things to be in storage until we move again. Hopefully the new one will be bleached to a similar shade by then.
I had made another cushion cover at the beginning of summer, from scrap pieces of linen, and as I still had some of the linen left, I intended to make more. I admit I did bend the “no new projects” rule with this one. All three cushion covers are made from greyish lavender heavy linen, and all are embroidered using the same shade of floss, but they are all different. Diversity and uniformity in one; that’s what happens when I get bored with making the same thing over and over.
The first one is pieced from smaller scraps, and every piece of the front has been treated differently. One is left plain; another has two rows of hemstitching, and the third small embroidered flowers.
The second (which did not have to be pieced) has a simple square in cross stitches, with a little detail in the corners.
The third is not pieced either, but unlike the others it opens in front. I covered buttons with the same linen, and embroidered them.
Not the most interesting of sewing related posts perhaps, but beautifying ones home is important, so some time has to go to that. And now you know I’m still alive :)