Monday 21 November 2016

A Paper Chain

A while back I tried making a classical paper chain, but unlike the heavy, clumsy ones we made in school, I wanted a small, dainty one.

I used 12” x 12” two-sided scrapbooking paper that I had in my stash. One sheet of paper made a 57 link chain that is approximately 59” (150 cm) long. I made two, and have not yet decided if I want to join them or not. The fact that my paper had a gingham print on one side made it easy to cut without much measuring and with no drawing at all.



Making a paper chain is really simple, but I took a step-by-step picture anyway.
-          Cut your paper into strips; mine were 5/8” (Ca 1,5 cm) wide.
-          Cut the strips into shorter lengths; I cut every strip in three, making 5/8” x 4” (about 1,5x10 cm) strips.
-          Run every strip through your fingers a few times, carefully making them curl so they won’t chink later.
-          Glue the chain together.


If you want, you can leave a strip or two, in case your chain gets broken and needs repairing – a definite possibility if you have pets or small children.


Do you decorate with paper chains? Please tell how, or share a link!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you - please comment!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.