The mitts where knitted in the round on metric size 2 (US size 0, UK and Canadian size 14) knitting needles. I didn’t have a pattern, but used various sources on the internet while making them, using a little information here and a little there. What helped me most with the actual knitting was a post on this blog. I didn’t follow all of her instructions, but they were good to use as a reference. I also consulted a few books I have at home, describing crafts in (manly) 18th and 19th century Sweden. They might not be 100% accurate, but they look rather good to me. The purl stitch décor at the top is inspired by mittens from the late 18th- early 19th century in one of my books.
These are not fine mitts for representative purposes, but for managing with the cold in an everyday situation for a higher working class/lower middleclass woman, so them being in a greyish-green colour, and rather coarse don’t bother me. They won’t show dirt that easy, and they’re quick to make, and easy enough to mend.
A couple of hours ago, when it was still Friday, I finished them. It only took four days. I am very proud of myself; before this I never knitted mittens in my life. It was much easier than I’d expected, not hard at all. I must try this again sometime, with something more complicated….
And they do keep my hands warm :)