Thursday 13 April 2017

Easter Witch

Last year I wrote this on my private Facebook page, and since I made a broomstick last summer I've been planning to take pictures to match the text. Last Saturday I did.



"In parts of Sweden and Finland it's rumoured that on the 
Thursday before Easter - "Skärtorsdag" - the witches travel 
to Blåkulla to feast with the devil. That is of course rubbish, 
a story made up by Muggles to explain something they fear
 and don't understand. There are in fact lots of brooms in 
the air around Easter, as the annual (and mostly friendly) 
Quidditch match between Sweden and Finland takes place 
Easter weekend, a tradition going back to the late 1700's. 
One would hope that not too many brooms are spotted* though, 
what with the International Statue of Secrecy and all that..."

The post led to discussions on how it began as a national game (Finland had long been a part of Sweden by the late 18th century), and when Finland became Russian, the match was kept as a way to preserve friendliness despite the Muggle wars and politics. By now it's been going on for so long it's unthinkable to stop. Whether or not a certain 18th century Muggle war was the horrid result of arguments over World Cup tickets, or are nothing but slander, also came up.



My outfit was inspired by the way in which Swedish Easter withes (påskärringar) are often depicted, like lower class women from about the turn of the last century. Of course witches don't wear such styles today, but you know I like to dress up historically. I wore my insanely pieced dress, a quilted petticoat, knitted mitts and stockings, a headkerchief, an apron from my kitchen, and a piece of fabric for a small shawl. Besides the broom I also carried a copper coffee pot, often seen in images of Easter witches. One needs a refresher if the Quidditch game gets long, and April in the North is often cold.

*Especially important as Swedish Muggle Police said they'd be keeping a lookout for airborne nuisance and other nasty things this weekend. Just a head's up ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you - please comment!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.